Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Most Beautiful Lounge in the Universe


The Most Beautiful Lounge in the Universe, at johnnyvintage.etsy.com
I am suffering some serious Lounge Envy. I cannot get this wonderful mid-century aqua lounge off my mind or out of my greedy little heart. Of course, I don't have a spare $4000 lying around, and if I did, well, I'd hate to think how much it would cost to get it shipped out in a container from the US. So, rather than futilely hankering after it from afar and leaving it at that, I'm going to use it as the inspiration for my Lounge Room Make-Over. So unbeknownst to my partner, I am completely re-decorating our living area, and it's all down to The Most Beautiful Lounge in The Universe. I'll blame johnnyvintage when questioned.
Re-decorating in this case does not mean getting in an expert and paying squillions to have someone "do" my loungeroom. It means painting some bits and pieces to give them a facelift and a different feel, making new cushion and divan covers from some fab (yet economically viable) new or thrifted fabric, and picking up a few bits and pieces off ebay and etsy.

I already have a great faux leather 4 seater couch and a matching chair and pouffe that I got from Vinnies for $60. Here it is, here:



I'm going to have a theme of 1940s Hollywood Regency style - it has echoes of the previous 1930s style (sleek, low, a little ritzy, faux bamboo, metallics) but is also tipping over into the coming mid-century style. I have these two great gold damask mid-century chairs, only $40 from Salvos, what a great buy:



As we are renting, the curtains and swags pose a problem. They are made from a blue fabric which is neither dusty enough to be wedgwood blue, nor interesting enough to be much of anything else. They are purpose made for the space - 3 large floor to ceiling windows - so would be expensive to replace (and hard to store!). I'll meet that bridge when I come to it.

I've bought some wonderful cut chenille in powder blue from Spotlight (on sale, naturellment), which has an over-sized Damask pattern, with which I'll cover the divan (although it's huge and takes up too much room, we'll never get rid of it, it's so squishy and comfy for watching TV). Here's the fabric:



Then, I'll add cushions in peacock fabric and silk in various shades of aqua and blue:



I have a beautiful very 1940s convex mirror on hold for me, so Hollywood, from hellovictory.etsy.com:



I'm trying to figure out how to work in my starbusrst sconces and clock:





Then, finally, a few mid-century cachivachis (bits n pieces) made from brass or chrome, or wood:



(antelope head available at objectsinspace.etsy.com - but don't buy it, I want it!!)

This won't be a project I get finished in only a few weeks - my sewing workload is too heavy for that. I'll post photos when it's done!

11 comments:

Chrisy said...

Me think we have similar tastes girl! Yes that lounge is swish...but you've got yourself some nice stuff second hand...I just loooove the gold chairs...and I have a similar convex mirror...and a starburst clock...

Evelyn said...

I love the photos you have here on your blog, I especially heart the starburt clock!

SueStitches said...

I have had that sofa set in my favorites for a while. Periodically I open it and look at all the angles, and rearrange my living room to accommodate it. Then I look to see if the cost has been lowered and if I could get it delivered.

Maisy Brown said...

lol, Susan! Actually, it HAS come down in price - the first time I looked at it, it was $5000, now it's $4000! I think it has about 400 admirers...
Chrisy - snap! lol
Cathy - thank you! That was one of my very first purchases on etsy - I can't believe I managed to get it sent over, along with the two sconces, from the US! Anything is possible, if only you can find a box big enough!

Haute Country Vintage Co. said...

Ohhhh Maisy! that Damask pattern fabric is TDF!!

Willow's World & Willow's Wool said...

i want it all!!....that sofa is amazing!

Valerie said...

Love it and all the other furniture and accessories you have photographed here!!

Hello Lindello said...

Thanks for including me! I love your blog

lauren said...

I have had my eye on that first green sofa for TOO long now!

petapledger said...

couch - *peta faints*

Becky said...

Any idea who makes that peacock fabric? It is FAB. I'm looking for something silky like that.
Becky